These scales are free to use for either research or practice purposes.
You don’t need to contact me to use them for research or in your clinical practice.
Substance Abuse Self-Stigma Scale
- Citation: Luoma, J.B.,Nobles, R. H., Drake, C., E., Hayes, S. C., O-Hair, A., Fletcher, L., & Kohlenberg, B. S. (2013). Self-Stigma in Substance Abuse: Development of a New Measure. Journal of Psychopathology and Behavioral Assessment, 34, 1-12. Download article here.
- Download Substance Abuse Self-Stigma measure and scoring instructions.
Acceptance and Action Questionnaire for Substance Abuse
- Citation: Luoma, J. B.,Drake, C., Hayes, S. C., Kohlenberg, B. (2011). Substance Abuse and Psychological Flexibility: The Development of a New Measure. Addiction Research and Theory, 19(1), 3-13. Download article here.
- Download the Acceptance and Action Questionnaire for Substance Abuse (AAQ-SA) and scoring instructions.
- For versions translated to other languages, go here.
Perceived Stigma of Substance Abuse Scale
- Citation: Luoma, J. B.,O’Hair, A. K., Kohlenberg, B. S., Hayes, S. C., Fletcher, L. (2010). The development and psychometric properties of a new measure of perceived stigma toward substance users. Substance Use and Misuse, 45, 47-57. Download article here.
- Download the Perceived Stigma of Substance Abuse Scale and scoring instructions.
- We created or adapted some of the scales that were used in Luoma, J.B., Kohlenberg, B. S., Hayes, S. C., Bunting, K., & Rye, A.K., (2008). Reducing the Self Stigma of Substance Abuse through Acceptance and Commitment Therapy: Model, Manual Development, and Pilot Outcomes. Addiction Research and Theory, 16(2), 149-165. These measures have not been psychometrically studied as far as I am aware, but here they are with that caveat.
- Download the Internalized Stigma of Substance Abuse Scale (ISSA)
- Download the Stigmatizing Attitudes Believability Scale (client version)
- Download Wahl’s self-stigma questionnaire